Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare My favorite YA series has been degraded to this...

I'm still trying to figure out how this book is from the same series that gave me Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince. Everything I loved about those books was missing here. I started skimming scenes because certain story arcs felt so unnecessary for a final book and stole from whatever weak amount of momentum it had going for it. This was a final book that had so much suspense leading up to it the odds of it ending weakly were slim to none. I don't understand what happened here. It flat lined early on and just dragged itself pathetically over the finish, and I'm left wondering if I'm being trolled and the real CP2 is still out there somewhere waiting for me to read it.

So many things were sacrificed in logic and emotion just to ensure everyone got a happy ending, and I'm not just talking about the core triangle (though I do feel there was so much potentially epic and tragic story telling left to rot on the whole parabatai bond). I didn't feel any of the triangle's three relationship sides very strongly in this book, but I also didn't feel anything for the other relationships that fluffed up the rest of the pages where intense story telling should have been happening either. This book took no risks and didn't put me in any emotional state that could have had me feeling for its characters. Everyone was paired off, and no one of great emotional importance died. To top this off every issue both newly introduced and long term from previous books had a convenient solution that just got whipped out without much thought. I felt like I was being handed excuses instead of a story with hurdles.

When I finished, I was numb. I didn't feel anything for a ridiculous 600 pages of reading, but now that it's finally hit me about how much potential was lost and how much some of my favorite characters of all time got ripped off like this, I'm mad. Perhaps my expectations were too high. This series had taken over my life with how obsessed and in love with it I became.

But seriously, what the hell happened...